For Anyone who uses a TTY:
TTY users can ask that New Jersey Relay Operators retrieve messages from their voice answering machines or voicemail.
Instructions to request answering machine retrieval for relay users:
- Dial 7-1-1 or 1 800 852 7899
- Type "AMR" and the phone number you wish to call with your password or special instructions and then “GA”.
- The Relay Operator will type, "PLS PLACE YOUR HANDSET NEXT TO YOUR ANS MACHINE AND TURN ON GA."
- Place your handset on the speaker part of the answering machine until all messages have been retrieved.
- Then place the handset back on the TTY and type "GA."
- The Relay Operator will type your messages.
For Anyone who uses a CapTel 840 or 840i phone:
CapTel users can use their CapTel phone (Model 840i) that has built-in answering machine. The user can listen to the answering machine message on the CapTel handset, and at the same time, read captions of what the message says. Check for more information as to how to retrieve messages from the CapTel phone’s built in answering machine in the CapTel 840 instruction manual.
For Anyone who uses a CapTel 200, 800, or 800i phone:
Please view the video as to how CapTel users get captions on their external answering machine messages at http://www.captel.com/videos-model800i-answer-machine.php